DEFINITION OF CYBER CRIME
Cyber crime encompasses any criminal act dealing with computers and networks (called hacking). Additionally, cyber crime also includes traditional crimes conducted through the Internet. For example; hate crimes, telemarketing and Internet fraud, identity theft, and credit card account thefts are considered to be cyber crimes when the illegal activities are committed through the use of a computer and the Internet."
TYPES OF CYBER CRIME :-
Hackers write or use ready-made computer programs to attack the target computer. They possess the quality to enter in to target computer and obtain the data. Some hackers hack for personal monetary gains, such as to stealing the credit card information, transferring money from various bank accounts to their own account followed by withdrawal of money. They extort money from some corporate giant threatening them to publish the stolen information which is critical in nature.
The Internet is being highly used by its abusers to reach and abuse children sexually, worldwide. The easy access to the pornographic contents readily and freely available over the internet lowers the inhibitions of the children. Pedophiles lure the children by distributing pornographic material, then they try to meet them for sex or to take their nude photographs including their engagement in sexual positions. Sometimes Pedophiles contact children in the chat rooms posing as teenagers or a child of similar age, then they start becoming friendlier with them and win their confidence.
Cyber Stalking can be defined as the repeated acts harassment or threatening behavior of the cyber criminal towards the victim by using internet services. The Stalkers have desire to control the victims life. Majority of the stalkers are the dejected lovers or ex-lovers, who then want to harass the victim because they failed to satisfy their secret desires. Most of the stalkers are men and victim female.
CREDIT CARD FRAUD
The unauthorized and illegal use of a credit card to purchase property. Information about the credit card is obtained by using skimmers, the most prone places to such crimes are restaurants, bars etc. Information about the Credit Card is also obtained through Phishing. In case of anyone asking for the credit card details of the user on the internet, it is advised to first confirm telephonically from that particular organization.
The act of sending an e-mail to a user falsely claiming to be an legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft. The e-mail directs the user to visit a Web site where they are asked to update personal information, such as passwords and credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate organization already has.
Copying the companyaTs confidential data in order to extort said company for huge amount.
Malicious software that attaches itself to other software. (virus, worms, Trojan Horse, Time bomb, Logic Bomb, Rabbit and Bacterium are the malicious
Theft of software through the illegal copying of genuine programs or the counterfeiting and distribution of products intended to pass for the original.
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) servers have chat rooms in which people from anywhere the world can come together and chat with each other. It is requested that, a summary of the above mentioned Cyber related crimes may be published in leading newspapers in Public Interest, to make the innocent net users aware of the same to prevent them from falling in traps of cyber criminals.
DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK
This is an act by the criminal, who floods the bandwidth of the victims network or fills his e-mail box with spam mail depriving him of the services he is entitled to access or provide. Denial of Service attack, is a type of attack on a network that is designed to bring the network to its knees by flooding it with useless traffic.
GENERAL INFORMATION :-
1. Don't delete harmful communications (emails, chat logs, posts etc). These may help provide vital information about the identity of the person behind these.
2. Try not to panic.
3. If you feel any immediate physical danger of bodily harm, call your local police.
4. Avoid getting into huge arguments online during chat or discussions with other users.
5. All other internet users are strangers. You do not know who you are chatting with. So be careful.
6. Be extremely careful about how you share personal information about yourself online.
7. Choose your chatting nickname carefully so as not to offend others.
GENERAL SECURITY TIPS
Do not give out identifying information such as Name, Home address, School Name or Telephone Number in a chat room. Do not send your photograph to anyone on the Net without first checking with your parents or guardians. Do not respond to messages or bulletin board items that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent or threatening. Never arrange a face-to-face meeting without telling parents or guardians. Remember that people online may not be who they seem to be.
Use content filtering softwares on your PC to protect children from pornography, gambling, hate speech, drugs and alcohol. There is also software to establish time controls for individual users (for example blocking usage after a particular time at night) and log surfing activities allowing parents to see which site the child has visited. Use this software to keep track of the activities of your children.
SUGGESTIONS FOR BETTER SECURITY:-
1. Use strong passwords: Choose passwords that are difficult or impossible to guess. Give different passwords to all other accounts.
2. Make regular back-up of critical data. Back-up must be made atleast once in each day. Larger organizations should perform a full back-up weekly and incremental back-up every day. Atleast once in a month the back-up media should be verified.
3. Use virus protection software. That means three things: having it on your computer in the first place, checking daily for new virus signature updates, and then actually scanning all the files on your computer periodically.
4. Use a firewall as a gatekeeper between your computer and the Internet. Firewalls are usually software products. They are essential for those who keep their computers online through the popular DSL and cable modem connections but they are also valuable for those who still dial in.
5. Do not keep computers online when not in use. Either shut them off or physically disconnect them from Internet connection.
INERNET GUIDELINES FOR STUDENTS:-
1. The Internet is the global storehouse for information. It is like having the biggest library in the World at your fingertip.---Use the net to increase your knowledge, to do class work better.
2. Visit interesting places sitting at your computer - visit the Taj or the Smithsonian Institution or the Louvre in Paris - all without stirring from your chair. --This is what the net is all about-an explosion of information.
3. Use the net to keep in touch with children from other parts of the Country or other Countries-make new pen friends; collect information. Many on-line service providers host chat rooms especially for children, monitored continuously for safety. -- The net is a global community - without any barriers, distances, boundaries.
1. Do not give your password to anybody. Somebody who is malicious can cause great harm to you and your reputation. It is like leaving your house open for a stranger and walking away.
2. When talking to somebody new on the net, do not give away personal information-like numbers of the credit card used by your parents, your home addresses/ phone numbers and such other personal information.
3. If you feel uncomfortable or threatened when somebody on the net feeds you an improper or indecent message inform your parents or elders.
4. Do not break into somebody else's computer and worse still change things; you are probably destroying a lifetime of hard work by somebody. You may be intelligent but use your intelligence for better things. Somebody else can be as ruthless and as intelligent to break into your system and destroy your creations as well.
5. Do not copy a program that is copyrighted on the net. It is illegal. You are actually stealing somebody else's hard work. There is a lot of illegally available material on the net. Do not use it yourself.