1. Always prefer the banks recognized by the Reserve Bank of India.
2. Never introduce an unknown person for the purpose of opening an account.
3. Never encash cheques / drafts of an unknown person through your account.
4. Do not keep your account inoperative for a long time.
5. Never disclose your bank account number, user name and password to anyone.
6. To avoid theft in postal transit or courier services and subsequent cheating, keep a track on the cheques / drafts / pay orders sent through post and courier services.
7. As far as possible, bank transactions should be handled personally.
8. Take care of your cheque books. Do not keep signed cheques in the drawer or any place where outsiders have an easy access.
9. All bank transactions should be counter checked to ensure that deposited cheques have been realized.
10. Monthly statements of your bank account should be invariably checked.
11. At the time of withdrawal of cash, the account holder must physically check the cash. Never hand over the cash to a third person for counting.
Many crimes occur when you carry cash & valuables from your home,shop,bank in public/private transport. Numerous gangs perfected the art of stealing this money from you in your weakest moments. They play upon our petty greed and mild tension takes us over when we hold such amounts of cash. Following are the ways how these offenders operate -:
1 Diverting your attention.
2. Giving you false sense of security by posing as policemen.
3. Pick Pocketing in busy buses.
4. Loot you at knife/gun point
Diverting Attention Inside the Banks :
1. Divert the attention by asking you to fill the form.
2. Divert attention by throwing small currency on the floor & ask you whether those notes belong to you.
3. Diverting attention of employee works at cash counter by asking some queries.
4. Diverting attention by asking the staff about the other banks and their branches. Diverting the attention of employee safeguarding the cash by telling him that he is being called by the manager.
5. Some will approach with a story that their relatives are in hospital & they are likely to get money from their village & ask for your account details to credit their money.
Safety Inside the Banks :
1. DonaTt believe strangers.
2. DonaTt divert attention for the small currency especially when you are in bank.
3. Make you to fall prey for small currency they take away big cash from you.
4. On Friday, Saturday & Monday between 10 am to 1.00 pm heavy transactions take place in banks, so one must be on high alert in those days and timings.
5. Cash counter staff should lock doors from inside.
6. Keep a watch on those customers who are standing idle and watching others.
7. All the banks should install the CCTV cameras and employ staff to monitor it.
8. Cash to be delivered to customers inside the counter those who withdraw huge cash.
Diverting Attention Outside the Banks :
1. Throw small currency on the road.
2. Alert the customers by making signs that their vehicle tyres are deflated.
3. Enquiring about the addresses of some banks or other information.
4. Spill sticky material with offensive odour on customers, divert their attention.
5. Some youth posing like policemen try to a~helpaT you by keeping your cash and valuables safely with them as there is a murder nearby. When you go home later and open the bag to find your valuables missing.
6. Some follow you till your home and when you stop midway to have tea or shopping, open your dickey to steal your money.
Safety Outside the Banks :
1. After keeping the cash bag inside car, you shouldnaTt listen to words of any stranger.
2. Think before decide to pick the small currency on the road.
3. DonaTt alight from your vehicle immediately after you are told about the problem in the tyres of car.
4. If your attention drawn by a stranger, you should come out from car with cash bag.
5. Whenever you withdraw huge amount from bank better take somebody with you.
Safety While Transporting Huge Cash in Vehicle :
1. Thieves always observe the cash transport vehicles follow them. Whenever the employee enters into the bank, the thieves approach the vehicle and divert the attention of driver by putting small currency on the road and divert the attention of security guard by asking some addresses and steal the cash.
2. One mustnaTt go for small currency.
3. Security guard must be very vigilant and donaTt give any scope for negligence.
4. Whenever the employee enters into the bank from vehicle he should lock the vehicle doors from outside.